What causes an elbow spot with dark outlining?

I have a house guest who is currently on Prednesone for a skin problem of unknown origin, He is a controlled diabetic. His skin rashes have completely gone away until today (30 mg. dose today of Prednesone) when he noticed a small round spot on the inside area of his elbow. It appears as a dark outlined red circle with a slash through it. It is a bit raised to the touch. Do you think he should see a dermatologist?
Mon, 6 Jun 2016
The probable diagnosis of the asymptomatic dark red spot is echymosis.Ask for a history of trauma.Echymosis however can occur with minimal trauma in diabetes. Apply a soothing lotion like calamine lotion over the affected area. Oral Vitamin C tablets can also help.Consult your dermatologist regarding the same. Regards