What causes an altered sense of taste?

i keep getting an unusual taste in my mouth and throat, it comes and goes and goes and only started about three weeks ago. I have never had it before, its a sweet bbq sort of taste. The taste is always the same and comes at any time, anywhere no matter what I have eaten previously. I am a 67 years old male, Peter.
Fri, 1 Jun 2018
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

From your explanation the symptoms of getting unusual taste in mouth and throat that comes and goes can be due to a number of causes like acid reflux, post nasal drip, oral or throat infection, increased blood sugar levels, nerve related problem etc.
At times ot can be due to no specific reason.
So my suggestion is to consult an Emergency room and get evaluated.
A clinical examination and investigation as per suspected cause and a complete blood picture can be done to rule out the exact cause.
For now drink plenty of water and do antiseptic mouthwash gargles.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.