What causes alopecia areata?

Hi. I have one spot near the crown of my head where my hair will not grow as much as the rest. I think it is tractile alopecia. My doctor prescribed some medicine for it, but I forgot what it was and lost the prescription. Can you tell me the name of this cream I can use for this? Or is there another treatment option?
Mon, 6 Sep 2021

Hair loss can be caused by numerous conditions. as described by you the hair loss is patchy so if the patch is completely bald then possibility of alopecia areata is higher and there are multiple treatment options for the condition including intra-lesional steroids. I suggest to consult a dermatologist and get treated before any new patch appears or the size of existing path increases.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Pawan Gupta, Dermatologist