What causes abdominal pain, diarrhea and constipation after an inguinal hernia operation?

My husband had inguinal hernia operation 8 weeks ago. He has had abdominal pain since and it has been worsening the last week or so. Symptoms are abdominal pain (severe flinching causing when pushed), diarrhea and constipation (depends on the day). Sometimes chills and nausea. We have been to the ER twice, cat scan and ultrasound... still they find nothing. It is getting worse. Thoughts?
Thu, 31 May 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

* As per my long surgical experience, the condition reveals underlying infection which can be collection at operative site or intestine flora disturbances related problem.
* I would recommend to consult with all reports as scanned copy for further management guidelines.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.