What causes a white film in the eyes?

The white film covering my eyes are peeling and then get smushed up in the middle of my eye so it constantly feels like something is is my eye. I can move the cleargel like coating around with my finger but it won t come out. Why is this happening and what is the cause of it as it is very uncomfortable? Thanks, I appreciate your help. Susan
Thu, 2 Aug 2018
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

This sounds like dry eye due to mebomian gland dysfunction which secrete the lipid layer of the tear film. I would advise you to get a meibography and slit lamp examination done . Also start using artificial tear drops.

Hope it helps.