• question-icon

What causes a twitching feeling in the calves?

I am having a fluttering bubbling feeling in my calves - mostly right one and sometimes lower left inside. I am worried it is a blood clot or something terrible. Symptoms have shown up for the last month or so maybe 2. I jog 2 miles, three times a week. I smoke a pack a day. I currently take high blood pressure medication (low dose) and fluid pill. It is a weird feeling like I can feel something twitching in there. It is basically a twitchy, bubbling, fluttery feeling in calves. Can you advise please?
Mon, 2 Dec 2019

The most common cause of a twitching calf muscle is a nerve irritation in the back. Typically, this nerve irritation occurs due to a disc issue or inflammation from arthritis putting pressure on the nerve. So to stop the twitching caused by an irritated nerve, the nerve must be treated. I suggest using anti inflammatory medications such as Acetaminophen to relieve the twitching. If the symptoms continue, I suggest to see a neurologist.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi, General & Family Physician