What causes a swollen knee?

About 5 weeks ago I fell an landed on my left knee as I was transferring from a wheelchair to a chair. (I am a below the knee amputee in the other leg but not diabetic). I landed on the knee and the hip. I still have swelling and pain around the knee cap. This is the knee that I had ACL /MCL repair back in 2007 when I was hit by car crossing the street. The knee has always been slightly swollen. I suspect I have stressed it being an amputee but I wonder what sort injury I could have this far out. The pain isn t constant. I can walk with my usual walker. I only had 1 instance of instability. I can bend and straighten the knee find. I can climb steps but going down steps is painful.
Sat, 25 Aug 2018

You have stressed your knee joint due to trauma. Your symptoms suggestive of ligament injury or menisci tear. For that knee joint digital X-ray should be done. If needed MRI scan can be planned. According to cause specific treatment given. I suggest you consult orthopedic surgeon for examination.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.