What causes a painful mass above the knee?

I have a mass in my right leg about two inches above my knee. It’s stable, can not be manipulated. It’s grown the last few months and for about a week has become painful. I have a burning sensation around it and my calf feels like it’s being strangled. I’m extremely aware of my right leg with consistency in discomfort.
Tue, 10 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The reasons for your painful mass could be a ganglion cyst or a sebaceous cyst which will need further evaluation by the orthopedic surgeon.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.