What causes a painful lump in the finger joint of a patient with Arthritis?

Last week i developed a painfull lump on my hand in the joint above my right index finger. The joint looks larger and is sporadically painfull. I am a 61 year old right handed female. I am not diabetic. I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my knees, hands and back, but the bulging joint is new and quick to be noticed.
Mon, 30 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You have already been diagnosed with Arthritis. The pain that you are experiencing in the index finger is due to inflammation, stiffness & swelling due to RA. To reduce the pain you can use a warm, moist compress with a towel for 15-20 minutes, you can repeat this for relieve. Do exercises to avoid painful joints, knitting, squeezing & relaxing your hand muscles with the help of a small soft ball is the best exercise for the fingers. You can take the help of an occupational therapist. Neglect may result in either bending/straightening of the affected index finger, that may require splinting or surgery (Arthroplasty/joint replacement). Medications that are helpful are NSAIDS, anti-inflammatory or steroids.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Nupur K.