What causes a lump over the carotid artery?

Through a CT Scan in 2012 it was revealed I have a nodule on my right common carotid artery. Since 2012 the nodule has shown no change in size. The most recent viewing of the nodule was in Feb 2017 via CT scan. Recently, I have been experiencing discomfort in the area where the nodule is located. In addition, I have an ache in my right jaw that at times radiates across my lower jaw from right to left (numbness/pin and needles). 11 years ago I had papillary thyroid cancer. I had a full thyroidectomy and radio active iodine treatment. My concern is the nodule is pressing against my carotid artery? Is this a realistic thought? I have been sick so perhaps it s inflammation? Just wondering why I am feeling it now and have not before. Why the jaw pain? I just need some advice on how to proceed with my doctor. Thank you
Tue, 13 Nov 2018

Consult a vascular surgeon and plan for an MRI scan for further assessment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Shinas Hussain,