What causes a fast heart rate, like 120 per minute ?

Im only 17 n my heart beats really fast, constantly like 120 a minute or faster, is that bad?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
's  Response
I've dealt with this my whole life and never got it checked until I was 18... I'm now 30 and know what my body is telling me. Usually, in younger people, Mitral Valve Prolapse is the cause. This is basically when two veins touch and the heart is trying to make them stop touching by beating faster. They can put you on medicine if it begins to be something that starts bothering you. You ought to at least get it checked. My heart beat at over 300 beats per minute once and the friend I was with made me go to the ER. They showed me techniques to make it stop. But because of the MVP, I was tested by a cardiologist who found another defect that would have cost me my life i if hadn't corrected it. The MVP is not life threatening, but you should let a cardiologist check you out for your own peace of mind.