Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What can i do for my mother in law who is suffering from psychological problems ?

hi.... am seeking for a best psychiatrist to give counseling for my mother-in-law. she is 45 years old. she always fights with my father-in-law for silly reason. This has been started from their marriage itself. my fater-in-law s family is a big family.he has 5 siblings. my mother-in-law always consider them as their enemies. but the thing is basically they are good people and they are not troublesome. she always imagine that each and every bad thing happened to their family is only because of his father-in-law was suffering by this for the past 25 years. he tried to take her to counseling. but she refused. could any suggest any solutions
Asked On : Sun, 9 Jan 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  113
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Couple therapy would be the most appropriate mode of help for your mother and father in law's problems. Be aware that any result from this/any other counselling/talking therapy will only help if the people involved are motivated to take the help. Apparently, your mother in law at the moment does not appear to be motivated, but may develop motivation after attending two or three sessions.

Alternately, though rarely, this suspiciousness could be because of some psychological problem like psychosis, but from the history given does not appear to be so. But if you want to rule it out, a psychiatrist would be the best person to see.

On a social note, if there is a family member or relative or friend who can be non judgmental, who both your FIL & MIL trust and value, they may play the role of the mediator.

Hope this helps.
Answered: Mon, 10 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor