Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

175 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What can cause swollen legs and sudden weight gain in a 40+ male ?

I am age 43 Male. I have very normal food habits, nothing excessive, no smoking, minimal drinking (that too mostly fine wines once in 15 days). My work however involves a lot of sitting down on the computer. I do a lot of international travel (nearly 10 days each month leading to late night flights, irregular food schedule etc). My blood tests are normal, no excessive sugar or cholestrol (although cholestrol is just at the edge). I have gained sudden weight in last 6 months. (10-15kgs) and feel very sluggish. Coz my work, I cant find time to go to the gym (used to earlier) although I try to walk everyday. Lately, I am experiencing swelling on my feet, especially after long flights and if I am unable to sleep well. My sleep pattern also seems disturbed. I am writing this mail 3am in the morning. What tests would you recommend and what could swollen feet indicate. As soon as I go for a long walk, they subside. But when I get up in morn, it is quite uncomfrotable. I have actually not needed a doctor for the last 15 yeats for anything, except a serious knee ligament surgery owing to a fall last year. In my opinion, it was this surgery that sparked off this condition as it took almost 6-7 months to fully recover, my gym exercise stopped and I am unable to get back to exercise. . Pls advise. My height is at 5.5 and werght nearly 90kgs now and I cant understand why it is increasing despite very minimal food habits. I feel very guilty about this but unable to resolve this. My age is 43 (a dangerous age) and many people around me are getting heart disease and diabetes . Just a little worried. Pls recommend the top-most lab I can get tests done in PUNE and what sort of a Doctor (specialist) should I consult. What blood tests should I get done immediately.?
Thu, 19 Jan 2012
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi Leenaj Kulkarni

You should go for these tests
Urine Dr
Serum Creatinine
Blood Urea
Lipid Profile
Check your blood pressure

God bless you
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My less are swelling to double in size by late afternoon . I am wearing extra (30-40) support hose. Skin dr has me rubbing a creame on the bad places on my legs,that break the skin,and the skin comes off,after bath time the most. I have diabetes . It is high. Blood pressure is high also. I am 72 yrs young! A nurse taking a test on my legs, ask me if I had congestive heart failure,and I said not that I know of. And I have been gaining weight,with no big change in eating habits.

doctor1 MD

I am having my abdomen getting bigger all the time, I have a history of stomach cancer with it being removed. I have not gained any weight as of recent. I gained wt after my car accident from 130# to 212#, I currently weigh 212#, but abdomen seeming to get larger with no wt. gain. Periods gone since stomach cancer

doctor1 MD

exactly on this date june 3rd my feet swelled not, excessively so but swelled anyways. am not a candy or a sugar eater ever now and then. my legs feels a bit funnny the bottoms of my feet feels a tad funny. am very anxious to get some clue as to why this is happen to me all of a sudden. am not, over weght i don,t drink nor smoke nor do i do drugs can you give me a hint a clue please. constance

Recent questions on Cholesterol

doctor1 MD

Sir, My Urine report show Albumin present, Large number of puscells/HPF, Sugar Fasting is 80mg%, Post Parandial111mg%, Utric acid 49mg%, Cholestrol 191mg%. Total Cholestrol 191mg%, HDL 44MG%, Triglyceride 135mg%,LdL 120mg%.What does this report mean.

doctor1 MD

are any of the so called natural remedies effective in helping erectile dysfunction? I am 58 years old, with good blood pressure 120/80. cholesterol is high though. I only take thyroid med, synthyroid. Do I need a blood test to determine if viagra or levitra would work for me?

doctor1 MD

two months ago I did two hydrocolonics in one week. after each colonic there was gel like substances with red squiggly lines coming out and minimal blood on the toilet paper. Ever since that I have been having a problem with food feeling like it gets stuck in the middle of my chest, burping a lot and a pain in my left back shoulder blade that radiates down my arm and up to my ear. It seems like when I eat fruits and vegetables I am fine with things not getting stuck in the middle of my chest but, protein and fats may be what causes the problem. My last cbc blood work showed my WBC count is 3.8 normal range between {4.0-12.0} K/UL my NEUTROPHIL count is 36.0 normal range between {41.0-71.0} % and my LYMOPHOCYTE count is 46.9 normal rainge is {24.0-44.0}%. I have been having these types of numbers for over nine years and my doctor doesn think anything about it. after researching on line I am questioning whether I could have the hpylori infection and a peptic ulcer. I ate some fruit about a year ago that my husband brought home from a market and got a pain so bad on my right lower abdomen that I could barely walk. I went and did a hydrocolonic and was able to get through it. I also have low vitamin d- 32 reference range: 30-100 unit ng/ml I also have high cholesterol 221 {140-200)mg/dl triglycerides 33 {30-150}mg/dl HDL 87{35-65}mg/dl chol/hdl ratio 2.54 {2.00-4.50}ratio VLDL 7 {6-30} mg/dl LDL 127 {70-130}mg/dl I am 46 years old and weigh 118lbs I am 5 2 . I jog and go to the gym at least 4 times a week.. I eat very healthy.. tons of fruits and vegetables and fish and chicken.. not much sugar or breads or pastries... on weekends we do drink beer and eat somewhat off but still not too bad... I am into natural remedies. Do you have any ideas what could be going on?

doctor1 MD

I am 37 years old with pvc's and anxiety

I take zoloft flecainide pravastati for cholesterol..I have had chest pains on and off for about 2 half years and have had alot of testing done.. Recentle when I do have chest pain my left wrist hurts at the same time.. My father had a heart attack last year and that is what he had before the heart attack was wrist pain..should I be worried

doctor1 MD

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

doctor1 MD

Hi, Can you please check my blood, ecg and usg reports and let me know on which areas should I take care? Also, any suggestions on any specific diet to control the problem areas and medications if any?

doctor1 MD

My Mother has gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.