What can cause numbness on the cheek and arm?

my 82 year old father, caucasian, has experienced numbness in his right cheek and numbness in his right arm. he is at a hospital in B'ham, AL. They are considering an MRI, but he has a pace maker that is giving the doctors pause at the moment. We are 30hours after the episode began. He is having trouble writing with his right hand today. The numbness is still there. He had a previous event similar to this in April. MRI and CAT scan at that time were clear. THis event has been more severe and lasted longer. He had heart surgery in December 2016. What is likely cause ?
Thu, 30 Aug 2018

First of all it's sad to know what your father had been going through lately. Based on the history you have shared, it can be due to nerve compression or structural lesion of central nervous system and MRI can be helpful but pacemaker record should be sought as certain pace makers are safer for MR scan. But if not than CT scan with contrast can be done meanwhile, and neurological examination should be done by a neurosurgeon. X-ray neck and chest should be done, to rule out any compressive lesion in the neck as well. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.