What can cause greenish yellow mucus in the cough of a 7-year-old?

My grandson is 7 years old. He feels a bit warm, but not terribly. I have given him some Children s Tylenol. However, about every 15 to 20 minutes he gets out of bed and coughs up greenish-yellow rather thick looking mucus. It s not barf from his stomach, but rather from his throat or lungs. He s very lethargic and has been lying around all day and hasn t eaten anything. He doesn t have a cold - no runny nose, not a cough either. What could this be?
Mon, 9 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You have mmentioned that he "coughs up greenish-yellow" phlegm/mucus, than this is cough and probably is caused by acute bacterial bronchitis or from a bacterial tonsillofaringitis.
Your son needs a physical examination(tonsills and lungs) to decide the diagnosis.
You can continue giving him Tylenol 3 - 4 times a day, as long as he has fever or pain. He has to rest, drink plenty of flluids.
After the examination the doctor might put him on antibiotics and mucolytics.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.