What can cause elevated WBC count?

My husband has a white blood cell count that has been creeping up thru the years. It is around 23,000 now I think. He finally got a bone marrow test and we are awaiting the results. I noticed he has a nasty toe nail fungi’s on his big toe. He is also type 2 diabetes. Could this be helping that count to high? Also he has not been to a foot doctor for this. Should he go to get that checked and mention it to his hemotologist?
Wed, 27 Jun 2018
Oncologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Yes, infection can lead to high WBC counts. Moreover, a chronic leukemia can also cause this and bone marrow examination and other blood test can diagnose this.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.