Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

150 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What can an electric shock do to our body?

I just sustained an electrical shock from a refrigerator door to the right palm of my left hand when I opened the door. It felt like a bee sting and it is red in the area but no burns. I immediately applied ice packs and I am actually typing with my left hand now. Please tell me what to do
Tue, 26 Jun 2018
Report Abuse
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.


When the electric current flow through the body depending on the voltage it may cause superficial skin burns, internal burns, damage to the tissues such as heart, lung and nervous system.
You are highly likely got brief electric shock from a lower voltage. It does not cause injury to any organs except mild superficial skin burns (readness).
Please, do not worry. If the skin is intact it will heal on its own and do not require medical care.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Thank you,
Malik Amonov MD
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on
 

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hello, right around 2:30 pm EST (on the 15th), I received an electric shock from work. I noticed a cut in a wire outside while cutting some trees for customers. I seen the smoke come from one end. I went to grab the wire on another section but I did not realize there was another cut on the section I grabbed, and this was all covered in slush, while I myself had my hands drenched from the snow. I believe I hit the let go threshold, of an electric shock. I was able to feel the current go up my right arm. I manage to let go just after 2 seconds of the shock. After about a 20 minute break I was able to work off the rest of my shift. As of now, I am not sure if this due to work or the shock itself, but I do feel a little stiffness in my right hand and forearm where the current originally started. I do not have the same feeling anywhere else. The soreness I feel on my shoulders and a little on my chest and back, but I m assuming that is from the heavy lifting I was performing before and after the shock. I just wanted to be sure to see exactly where I stand, and that maybe I will be ok just by getting a lot of rest.

doctor1 MD

Hello Dr. i am desperate husband PLEASE help me don t know any more what to do, my wife is on cipralex .10mg taking 1 in the morning but she is experiencing devastating electric shock , that comes at once for a few second and disappear, but scares me a lot, can you help me Please

doctor1 MD

hello I had two electrical shocks yesterday from touching my dishwasher and a metal counter top at the same time , my question is ( although it wasn t enough to seek medical help) Do I need to drink any thing special to build my body back up to par, I have felt bad all day.