What are the tests for mini strokes ?

What are the tests given to find out if there has been mini strokes?
Mon, 22 Apr 2013
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests ,   ,  
Neurologist 's  Response
Hi
Mini stroke can be either due to transient ischemia to brain or can be due to lacunar infarct.MRI brain with angiogram with GRE sequence(if small bleed).Lipids level, homocysteine level, glycosylated hemoglobin, doppler neck vessel, ECG and 2D echo are the other tests done.BP need to be checke as treatment depends on all these.Aim is to treat and prevent further risk of stroke
robbie's  Response
A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is focal brain ischemia producing sudden neurologic deficits that last < 1 h. Diagnosis is clinical. Carotid endarterectomy, antiplatelet drugs, and warfarin decrease risk of stroke after certain types of TIA. Tests will be done to rule out a stroke or other disorder that may cause the symptoms. Tests to diagnose a TIA may include: * CBC and PT tests to rule out a blood disorder * Head CT scan or cranial MRI * Carotid duplex (ultrasound) * Echocardiogram * Cerebral arteriogram Additional tests and procedures may include: * Blood glucose * Blood chemistry * Serum lipids * ESR (Sedimentation rate) * Tests for syphilis * ECG * Chest x-ray Your doctor may use these tests to check for hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, high blood lipids, vasculitis, and peripheral vascular disease. Please see the web pages for more details on Transient ischemic attack.