What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?

My granddaughter seems to be holding her breath to go to sleep. She is a healthy weight. She is a bright child. What other things could this be besides holding her breath? I ve thought of sleep apnea. It seems to be a habit. To keep her from continuing this habit out of fear for her safety, she is being spanked for holding her breath. She does not do this to be bad but to go to sleep. I don t think she is holding her breath. What else could it be?
Thu, 13 Nov 2014
Pulmonologist 's  Response
This is probably not sleep apnea. it's symptoms are- snoring, restless sleep, and sleepiness during the daytime.
It may also be caused by upper nasal problems like nasal polyp, DNS.
Consult first a ENT specialist.