• question-icon

What are the symptoms of sepsis?

what are the symptoms of sepsis in the elderly? My father in law is in his nineties and has dementia. He recently went on a brief trip with family and after the first day started to panic, stopped eating and drinking and became completely incontinent. He complains about suffering from constant bodily pain, so much so , that the 4 hour ride home- any bump in the road- seemed to torchure him. he s in bed now but not resting comfortably. Not sure whether he has a fever.
Thu, 15 Oct 2015
Welcome to HCM,

Sepsis is a condition in which our body starts an inflammatory response throughout your body inorder to fight an infection.

This body response can harm our other organs like kidneys,liver,lungs or muscles etc.

In order to say if he has got sepsis, he must be having 2 or 3 of the following symptoms like fever 101 F or more or heart rate greater than 90 a min and respiratory rate greater than 20 a min or infection symptoms like constantly body pain.

he should undergo routine blood works,liver function tests,blood electrolytes and urinalysis.

May be he will need antibiotics but before that do a culture and sensitivity test and then start appropriate antibiotics.

consult physician for complete treatment.