• question-icon

What are the symptoms of scoliosis?

My son is a bodybuilder and has recently hurt his back, he went to our local doctor and the doctor has said he has acute scoliosis. I think he should go and see a chiropractor as scoliosis doesn t happen that quick.His father does have scoliosis but it shouldn t happen that quick please let me know what you think ?
Thu, 25 Jun 2015
Hello! I read your query and I understand your problem. You don't mention your son's age in your description, but I must say that signs and symptoms of scoliosis begin during the growth spurt that occurs just prior to puberty. Scoliosis can run in families which means it can be hereditary, but most children with scoliosis do not have a family history of scoliosis. Less common causes of scoliosis are: neuromuscular conditions (muscular dystrophy or cerebral palsy), injuries or infections of the spine and birth defects affecting bones and spine. Plain X-ray can confirm the diagnosis of scoliosis and reveal its severity. Physical therapy exercises can't stop scoliosis, but may have the benefit of improving overall health. I suggest you to not worry but talk to your doctor for detailed imaging tests (magnetic resonance imaging or computerized tomography or bone scan) in order to confirm the diagnosis. Chiropractic manipulation is an alternative medicine, but I suggest you to talk to your doctor about treatment options after the diagnose is confirmed.
I hope I answered your question! I hope your son will be better soon!
Best regards!