What are the symptoms of rhabdomyolysis?

Hi can you tell me the symptoms of Rhabdomyolysis ? My husband is 51, a builder who has been working 80 hours a week and all of a sudden has horrible muscle pain all over. Back, arms, shoulders, chest and a low fever. By pain I mean terrible pain, he cant get from a laying to sitting position without help, he is also extremely exhausted
Tue, 10 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Rhabdomyolysis is a serious syndrome due to a direct or indirect muscle injury. It results from the death of muscle fibers and release of their contents into the bloodstream. This can lead to serious complications such as renal (kidney) failure. This means the kidneys cannot remove waste and concentrated urine. In rare cases, rhabdomyolysis can even cause death. Classic triad” of rhabdomyolysis symptoms are: muscle pain in the shoulders, thighs, or lower back; muscle weakness or trouble moving arms and legs; and dark red or brown urine or decreased urination. Other symptoms are abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting,fever, rapid heart rate,confusion, dehydration, fever, or lack of consciousness etc. I think your husband may undergone heat cramps and heat exhaustion. Please take him immediately to hospital to seek appropriate treatment. Give him tender coconut water or ORS solutions before reach hospital. After reaching the hospital your physician may examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.