Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

What are the symptoms of oedipus complex ?

the guy i know is really attached to his mother and always compares me with her..however he doesnt hates his father as mentioned in the oedipus complex definiton. but he is never able to accapt my love completely because of his love for his mother. he overreacts at times and i can feel that he is torn between me and his mom.. i dont want to hurt him but cant leave him either.. where to seek for help
Asked On : Thu, 10 Feb 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  332
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Idealisation of parental figure and internalising the primary care giver is quite a normal phenomenon in development of any person. From what you are describing, it seems this has gone too far and is causing significant inter personal problems between you two.

The first thing to do, I suggest, is for you to talk to him about this. This would not only start getting the process of getting help but also will let you know his reaction to getting help. Any kind of help offered will obviously work with the hard work of the actual people involved and hence this is very important.

Inter-personal therapy appears to be a good form of talking therapy for you too but before anythign of this sort is sought out, please have a preliminary assessment by a mental health professional to see if there is any need for you both to seek help or is it that it may be you that may be overly sensitive. Sorry fro suggesting this but a competent professional has to look at all angles of a problem.

Answered: Thu, 10 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. B Raghavendra's  Response
why just speaking mode? may be making it a writing mode helps. make him pour out his heart in love letters if he can. or inference from movies that he likes or whatever.....but finally there is a limit to what about showing this conversation to him?

I know u must have tried all this but....that is the only way to go.

from your point of view may be u need a break from him also? why not take what is called a respite break from him?

professionals may suggest lot more

Answered: Fri, 11 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor