Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder ?

I m 13 years old,and think i have the majority of symptoms for bipolar,but i would like to get confirmation.-a long time ago i had many thoughts of suicide-i have managed to get over these because i told myself that it won t solve anything,but,i do have very up&alive times,and tired¬ in the mood times;examples-the other day i was coming up with idea s,thoughts were racing through my head&i went from one thought to another within about a minute-maybe less,also,i could not concentrate on my work,i couldn t really even read it without forgetting what i had just read before i finished the sentance,also i was talking quite fast&enthusiastically,laughing alot and feling hyper&like my energy could last a long time. -a depression example would be that the other day i was having a great time,laughing&being my loud&lively self,but then all of a sudden i felt as if something had just came and punched me in the chest ,i almost cried but couldnt-i can t let my friends see me cry when there is no reason for why i m crying,i wanted to be alone and just get all of my anger out. this keeps happening and there s no reason for it,i just feel like there s something wrong&it s not normal for this to happen,any help-what should i do?&do i have bipolar or not?if you think i might have to go see someone,do you have any idea s of who i can talk to without a parent/family member finding out before anything is confirmed?please help!
Asked On : Sat, 17 Mar 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  206
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Pediatrician 's  Response
Dear Friend

Your symptoms are definitely suggestive of a bipolar disorder with mood swings. You can, however be helped by mood stablizers and anti-depression medicines. These are available as combination packs but only on the prescription of a doctor. So best thing for you is to seek the help of a psychiatrist in your town. You need not be secretive about it and being only 13 years old you should take your parents in confidence who should accompany you when visiting a Psychiatrist. For most people with bipolar disorder, medications do not relieve symptoms completely. Psychological counseling (psychotherapy) complements drug therapy and is considered a crucial part of effective therapy.

Counseling usually begins in the hospital or when medical treatment begins.

Different types of therapy are used. Therapy may be individual or in a group; both can be effective if approached with a positive attitude.
Yoga and meditation may also help you along with above mentioned treatments.

Good luck
Answered: Thu, 19 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Partho Sarathi Roy's  Response
Welcome to HCM
First of all I would like to thanking you for giving details of your problem.Every person in this world had some short of mental swing and only few needs helps from professional(psychiatrist)help.When any one facing this type of problem he needs not only help from doctor but also help from family and friends.Disorder like this needs prolonged and continuous therapy of medication and counselling and that is not possible when you are alone.Please do not shy about your problem to your family as you have a long life to live healthy.The type of medication or therapy will be completely decided by the the doctor.
So again I would like to advise you to go to a professional along with your family.
Thanking you.
Answered: Thu, 19 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor