What are the symptoms of a misscarriage?

My girlfriends doctor said she is having a miscarriage. He thinks she was about 5 weeks pregnant. She started bleeding in the middle of the night in her sleep and woke up. Now she is bloating. How does she stop the bloating ? How can she tell if she is having a miscarriage ? She told me that the blood coming out is brown and red.
Thu, 6 Sep 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I would like to know if she has a confirmed pregnancy. If not, she needs to get one immediately to help plan further management. A blood test, a sonogram of the pelvis, preferably in the trans-vaginal route, along with a proper clinical assessment will help to decode what can be done next. If she is pregnant, there is a chance of a threatened/missed abortion in the current scenario and this needs further active management. If she is not pregnant, she is likely to be experiencing hormone imbalance which needs correction.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
General & Family Physician Dr. Shinas Hussain's  Response

It can be a threatened abortion. Consult a gynecologist and get an ultrasound scan to evaluate. As of now drink plenty of water and take adequate rest.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.