Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

What are the symptoms of a heart attack for women ?

What are the symptoms of a heart attack for women? How do you know? I am 45 and a woman. I have been having pain in my shoulders and mid back, trouble breathing, and dizziness . I have been using my inhaler every 2 hours and have been taking 800mgs of motrin for the pain and a gas X and previcid for my stomach. The breathing problems seems better but I am still in some pain. My husband, a nurse, says I am not presenting the symptoms of a heart attack and thinks it is more upper respiratory related. I have also had sore shoulders for a while with limited movement that my doctor thinks is my rotator cuff. Do you think I should ride it out on pain meds and albutoral or go to the emergency room ? I m not in distress as much as I was. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Mon, 14 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Very good question. Women present much differently than men do when it comes to your hearts. Atypical is the typical in women. I've diagnosed heart attacks (myocardial infarctions) time and time again in women who only have shortness of breath, nausea, weakness, shoulder pain (rotator cuff!), etc. The thing I hate hearing most from my patients is that they are having 'gas' pain. So many times it turns out to be cardiac. When you go to the emergency room they will do an ekg, chest xray, and cardiac enzymes (heart labs), etc. However, this alone does not rule out a heart attack. They will most likely keep you overnight to do atleast two more ekg's and heart labs seperated by six hours and after you 'rule out' they'll probably do stress testing. Other life threatening conditions such as pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in your lungs), etc can present in a similar fashion. It may be nothing, but please don't make the mistake of blowing this off. Go straight to the hospital and check it out. I don't want to say what I do for a living on this forum, but please believe me you need to go get this checked out.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor