Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
189 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What are the symptoms of FAS/FAE person?

It was recently pointed out to me, by my Therapist PsyD that it is likely that I was born with FAS mother is a heavy alcoholic. I do have some of the physical characteristics of FAS such as, short stature, upturned nose, small eyes, droopy upper eyelids, thin upper lip, flat philtrum. I was also born 2 months premature and failed to thrive after I was born. I went from about 4LBS down to under 2LBS after I was born. I was slower to develop and have had difficulty with hand-eye coordination. I had trouble concentrating during school and have dyslexia. I am now 37yoa and wondering if I should persue this further with a medical team. I have read that some people with FAS have an altered corpus callosum that would show on a brain MRI. I have also read that there is an increased risk of heart and kidney defects associated with FAS.
Which type of doctor or specialist should I consult? Are there any other tests that would help me determine if I do have FASD/FAE? Is there any other suggestions you could offer on what I should do?
Mon, 30 Sep 2019
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response

You have a history of being born with FAS mother. Now your symptoms are of ADHD. Yes, medicines can help inability to focus, anxiety or hyperactivity symptoms.

Since you are 37 years of age now you should know that FAE can't be reversed now but yes there are medicines that may address the symptoms.

Antidepressants(for sadness, negativity), neuroleptics to treat aggression, anti anxiety & stimulants are quite helpful for behavioral problems.

Physiotherapy, exercise & counseling are effective. However, you are suggested to visit a GP, get physically examined. He should refer you to an ADHD specialist.

ADHD specialist will assess your ASD, LD, OCD, SPD & generalized anxiety disorder by clinical examination, past & present history & assess you in ADHD rating scales.

Your treating doctor will treat you on the basis of the severity of your symptoms by medications & physiotherapy which should go side by side.

Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Nupur K, General & Family Physician
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

What are symtoms of a multiple personality? i have been diagnosed all my life with bipolar, maniac depression, extreme anxiety, complete introvert....

Recent questions on  Alcohol abuse

doctor1 MD

My girlfriend who is 47, has been having leg cramps since we started having sex a few weeks ago. She doesn t get them any other time and generally...

doctor1 MD

It was recently pointed out to me, by my Therapist PsyD that it is likely that I was born with FAS mother is a heavy alcoholic. I do have some of...

doctor1 MD

im facing a long battle of past drug addiction have been on the methadone programme for fifteen years im forty six years of age found out recently...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor how are you if i took the Postinor-1 half an hour ago can i drink alcohol today ? We are invited today to our friends for Christmas...

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

Dear Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX We have spoken before about my diagnosis of Parkinson's which happened acutely this past summer. Now I am finally taking...

doctor1 MD

My feet have started feeling hot and mild tingling from time to time, notice it most when sitting, also slight tingling in hands when sitting. no...