What are the side effects of taking Flomax?

My mother is 98 y o, has severe dementia and was just hospitalized, through the ER, for UTI. She was a patient for 3 days while being treated for the UT infection. Her normal BP runs 60 s over 50 s. However, in the hospital her BP was running upper 50 s over 40 s. At discharge, she was Rx Flomax. We spoke to both RPh and Charge Nurse reporting Mother has great difficulty swallowing pills especially capsules. We were told not to open capsule and just place large amount of water in mouth along with Flomax. She simply spits the capsule out and will not swallow. In addition, we see a side effect of Flomax is sudden drop in BP. Because of the weekend, we can not reach her regular MD until Monday. Would it be wise to postpone taking the Flomax until consultation with her MD? Thank you Bob
Sat, 23 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Common Flomax side effects may include:
-dizziness
-nausea, diarrhea
-headache, chest pain
-back pain
-blurred vision
-tooth problems
-fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.