What are the side effects of mirena IUD?

ever since my girlfriend had a mirena IUD placed I have been experiencing an increase in balanitis, at least that is what I am assuming it is, since I am an uncircumcised male. I always make sure to clean the area after sex. We have both been tested for all STDS and are negative for all. Can a reaction to the mirena IUD be causing these bouts of irritation? I am a 24 yeear old male 5 foot eleven inches and weight of 190 lbs.
Tue, 24 Aug 2021

Mirena contains levonorgestrel is a hormone releasing intrauterine device or IUD which is used in the prevention of unwanted pregnancies from unprotected sexual intercourse for up to 6 years. Hormonal birth control methods like Mirena IUD can cause an imbalance of estrogen and progesterone which may bring on a fungal infection. In this way, you may develop balanitis due to yeast infection.

Again, the hard part of the IUD is in the uterus and the string is the only part of the IUD that is in the vagina. The strings of your partner's IUD can cause irritation or injury certain parts of your penis, especially foreskin in case of uncircumcised person like you. In this way, you also may develop balanitis from your partner. You can apply topical anti-fungal creams like Clotrimazole and topical mild steroids like hydrocortisone on your affected area.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Zubayer Alam, General And Family Physician