What are the side effects of glycomet in a long run?

Hi, My sister(Age:36) has detected PCOD several years back after taking treatment she got pregnant and had safe delivery with a baby boy before 6-7 years, however she is again having irregular periods now... also having overweight and hair loss.... When she went to a dr. she prescribed her Glycomet SR 500 mg and dr. has asked her to continue this tab. till her menopause. But my sister is quite worried about taking this tab for so long time and also about it s side effects. kindly advice if taking Gcoronary artery spasms for long time is safe/? and waht are its known side effects. Thanks..
Mon, 14 Jun 2021

Glycomet SR 500 mg contains metformin which belongs to the group of anti-diabetic medications known as biguanides is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus and its associated complications by controlling blood sugar levels. It is also used in the treatment of polycystic ovarian syndrome or PCOS that is a menstruation related disorder. It is a safe and effective medication for long term use. It is also safe for cardiac patients like patients with coronary artery spasms. Like other medications, this medication has some side effects of its own.

In case of long term use, it may cause some side effects. Side effects of Glycomet SR are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, anorexia, flatulence, alteration of taste, heartburn, vitamin B12 deficiency, hepatitis, abnormal liver function tests, lactic acidosis, headache, runny nose, chest discomfort, swollen joints, allergic reactions etc.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Zubayer Alam, General And Family Physician