What are the side effects of Risperdal and Clozaril?

My son was diagnosed manic bipolar about 18 months ago. He recently had a relapse and was hospitalized for a few weeks. He is now in a rehab facility for 28 days. The doctor at the hospital brought him up to 6mg of risperdal and he was not improving or feeling well from that medication and so they are now tapering him to Clozaril at the rehap facility he is in. How concerned should I be and what other medications are similar without the heavy side effects? I know he will need to be blood tested for his white cell blood count. He has only tried resperdal and Zyprexa during his first episode eighteen months ago
Thu, 13 Feb 2014
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic

Sometime it happens that after getting response with one antipsychotic, patients do not get response with same drug. It happens due to tolerance with same drug. Same thing is in your son's case. Nothing to worry, there is large range of antupsychotic. He would get response with another antipsychotic.

Thanks
Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
For bipolar mood disorder the drug of choice is divalproex sodium or lithium as a mood stabilizer and olanzapine or quetiapine as a antipsychotic. Clozapin is also good but as you are aware there could be blood cells complications (neutropenia) and hence better avoided.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.