What are the precautions to be taken to avoid kidney failure?

My sister is experiencing much loss of hair . She is 84 years old and is taking 50 mg of metoprolol for high blood pressure. She is also taking 75 mg of levoghiyoxine oxide for thyroid. She has lost most of her hair within several weeks. She states that she uriinates frequently ( about every 20 minutes). Her kidney count was 100 last month and is now 100.09. The doctor stated she is getting kidney failure - she gave her water pills because her feet and legs were swollen and gained 8 lbs in one week and also experienced shortness of breath. PLEASE let me know if you can help.
Fri, 10 Jan 2014