What are the precautions to be carried before seizures?

Dear Sir/Madam, My father age is 62yrs.He had seizures attack in July,2009 then again in July,2010 then again in Nov,2010 then at last on 1st May 2011. Earlier we didn t had any idea of these attacks and what are they called.When consulted the doctors,they said to take CT scan,MRI the results showed normal and at last they said to take EEG,in which it showed some abnormality. Then the doctor had asked to take the medicines. On 1st May,2011 he had twice attacks and we had admitted him in hospital.That time we came to know that the attacks he had are known as seizure disorder(GTCS). The process done by my father during attacks. He is in deep sleep,suddenly he shouts aaahhhh ,stretches his hands,then goes in deepest sleep(unconscious mind) and one more thing his tongue gets in between the teeth(blood comes as tongue gets hurt). Then we try to make him wake up as he goes in deepest sleep in unconscious mind,try to rub on his heart.It hardly takes 20-25 min to bring him conscious.Once he gets alert we get relaxed. Now he is taking Eptoin Tab.The doctor has said to take it for 3 yrs. I would like to know what precautions should be taken before and after the attack.Are there any symptoms before the attack. Will he get the attack again??Please help me. Regards, Sheetal.
Fri, 25 May 2018
Neurologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I am afraid there isn't much of a precaution to take before the attack since it's not possible to know exactly when the attack is going to happen. At times patients can have some abnormal sensations before the seizures called aura, such as smells, lights or hallucinations. However that doesn't always happen and it is only in the preceding minutes. All you can do is not to let him drive or operate dangerous devices.

As for when the seizure happens the one measure you can take is to turn him on his side during the seizure. That is in order to prevent his airways getting closed and aspiration of the secretions. That is the only beneficial measure, otherwise not much needed, the seizure will run its course and end. Hopefully Eptoin will prevent the seizures from happening.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.