What are the odds that over 5 years I could

What are the odds that over 5 years I could be intimate hundreds of times with a person who was positive for HSV2, and asymptomatic, the entire time without my having contracted the virus? I was tested for the antibidies just shy of the 5 year mark and I was negative although my partner was not. Confirmation tests for us both a few weeks later reaffirmed those results.
Our then shared family physician said that the reason I was not affected was because the virus does spread from a person who isn’t in a period of flare-up when it would then be “shedding”. I was satisfied enough with this explanation.
Subsequently I happened upon information that stated otherwise. A person with HSV2, although not in a flare-up, would spread the virus easily enough because they are still “shedding” regardless.
I neeed to know which it is for life going forward. My partner and I are no more for other reasons, however now I am positive as well.
So, did I avoid infection for years until just recently when we missed the signs of a flare-up? Or did my former partner acquire this disease much more recently and therefore so did I? By knowing this I can act more safely and responsibliy in the future should I meet someone again.
Sun, 3 Jun 2018