What are the long term side effects of Pantoprazole?

HI i have been on pantoprazole for three years my doctor wants to switch me to rantitidine i have had nothing but trouble abdominal pain and diarrhea for four days. what are the long term side effects of pantoprazole i would like to go back to what i was taking. with a belly ache, Michael
Tue, 26 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Now PPI ( including Pantoprazole) have been found not to be much safe.
It can cause kidney problem, low vitamins, and even early mortality was found with very prolong use of these drugs. So the best things is that they are very good drugs but should be used only if needed, and in minimum dose. Its prolonged continuous use should be discouraged.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Rahman