What are the chances of survival after being diagnosed with cirrhosis?

Good afternoon! I have late stage cirrhosis. Please guide me what to do to stop the progression of this disease due to my alcohol abuse. I already stopped drinking for close to 2 years now. Your valuable help will be much highly appreciated. How long may I still live? Thank you and best regards, XXXX
Mon, 8 Jul 2019

This is a serious disease if cirrhosis is present and quitting alcohol is the most important thing that should be done. Also, medications which are hematotoxic should be avoided. This is necessary to prevent disease progression which is lethal in most cases. At early stages, it can be treated with these measures but in case of progression.
Diet should be balanced and healthy and get regular exercise. Limit high-carb foods such as bread, grits, rice, potatoes, and corn. And cut down on drinks with lots of sugar like sports drinks and juice. If there is viral hepatitis as the underlying cause then antiviral medications are required.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein, General Surgeon