What are the affects of a stroke ?

In what ways does a stroke affect you?
Tue, 23 Apr 2013
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Neurologist 's  Response
Stroke affects physical, cognitive and emotional functioning, but there are things that can be done to reduce the impact of post-stroke effects. Each patient’s stroke experience is different and depends on the type of stroke and which areas of the brain are damaged.Paralysis on the one side of the body Vision problems Quick, inquisitive behavioral style and Memory loss are commonly seen after stroke

Effects can be experienced at varying degrees at any phase of recovery. Understanding the nature of the effects of stroke and what can be done about them is the first step to recovery
It depends what part of the brain is damaged and to what extent. If the motor area is damaged it can cause weakness in the legs, arms and face. Damage to the cerebellum can cause lack of co-ordination. If the Broca area in the brain is damaged it can leave problems with Speech; if the Wernicke's area is damaged this can leave a patient with difficulties naming people and objects as well as reading. Strokes often cause visual issues and problems with balance and paralysis. A stroke in the brain stem would cause devastating issues as the nerves have to pass through there to the spinal cords. Massive strokes do result in death. Sometimes, other parts of the brain compensate for the parts of the brain which are damaged.