What are mild fever, vomiting and strong urine smell in an infant suggestive of?

7 month old baby boy with 100.4 degree fever. Has had some vomiting in past few days (not bad... but distinguishable from spitting up). Urine smells strong. He s been sleeping a lot more than normal today, and fussier than usual. It s late at night. Is this urgent (probably ER since Urgent Cares are closed already) or can it wait until morning to have a normal office visit?
Thu, 28 Jan 2016
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,
Fever in an infant accompanied by strong urine odor is suggestive of urinary tract infection (UTI).
Vomiting is often seen to accompany UTI.
Thus, I suggest you to consult your pediatrician at the earliest and get a urine examination to look for evidence of infection in the urinary tract.
In case there is evidence of infection in urinary tract, antibiotics need to be taken.
If no evidence of infection is detected on urine examination then another cause of fever with vomiting need to be found out.
Fever and vomiting accompanied with excessive sleeping and fussy behavior also indicates increased intrcranial pressure or increased CSF pressure.
This could be to infection in the CSF caused by meningitis.
Please consult your pediatrician at the earliest.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri