What are good ways to lower my BP Other than salt ?

what are good ways to lower my blood pressure? Other than salt what else should I avoid? *2 Part answers plz? THANKS EVERYONE
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
Hello, Great question you have here... As a nurse I would love to answer for you: Years ago a BP of 120-130 over 80-90 was acceptable. However new research has shown this is not true. The NEW guidelines for a healthy BP are less than 120 over less than 80. 1) most important is exercise!!! it is beneficial for your body for many reasons.... but especially good because it helps to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system and will lower your BP. 2) as you said in your question, avoiding foods with high sodium (salt) is key... aged meats, hotdogs, canned soups, canned vegetables, soda/pop, junk foods like chips, condiments, and frozen dinners are the biggest culprits. Try to cut those out entirely. Also avoid adding table salt to your foods. Eventually you will not even miss the taste. 3) eat more healthy foods such as vegetables... and new research has shown these are the best foods for cardiovascular health : Garlic, Onions, Pomegranite juice, Kiwi fruit, fish such as salmon and tuna, and nuts such as walnuts and almonds. 4) relaxation, meditation, and deep breathing... avoid stress!!! Studies have proved that stress can weaken the body's defenses making us prone to many diseases... Also having a "type A" personality is a risk factor in developing cardiovascular disease... These are the people who's mindset is always Work, work, work!!! Schedules, Perfection, and Acheivement! Try to relax and realize that the world wont end if you say NO to a project once in a while. Hope these tips help you, Good Luck, Angie R.N.