Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

What alternative medicines can be given to treat wilsons disease ?

My son ajay singh age 16 years diagonist wilson s disease and D pencillamine giving from last 7 years but he can t speak and right hand movement. please give the details.
Asked On : Sun, 12 Jun 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  90
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. Wilson disease (Heapto lenticular degeneration) is an autosomal recessive trait, thus he might have received one gene from each parent (Gene Mutation)
2. you haven't mentioned about the Copper level? (serum as well as urine)
3. when copper is unable to excrete (as in this case) it start getting accumulating and tha main sites are liver and brain: which has resulted in persistent neurological difficulty : aphasia (unable to speak) and unable to move hand (Rt.)
4. seek an opinion/consultation of Ophthalmologist for KF rings and with Hepatologist for active Hepatitis, bleeding problems, Cirrhosis of liver?
5. Avoid mushrooms,nuts,chocolates,liver,shell fish,dried fruits which are rich source of copper.
6. Avoid 'Arogya Vardhini Vati' in Ayurveda drugs as it is rich source of copper (tamra bhasam)
7. apart from D-pencillamine, Zinc can be used,and Physiotherapy can be assist in coping with neurological symptoms.
8. liver transplant is the effective cure.
Answered: Thu, 4 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Wiquar Ahmed's  Response
welcome to healthcare magic
Wilson's disease is a inherited disease for 1 in 100000 people a mutation in one of the gene in which you have increased levels of copper .copper gets stored in liver and brain and the disease presents also in two ways that is liver disease and neurological disease or impairment .From the above history your son has more of neurological disease and has presented with aphasia {unable to speak } and unable to move right hand .the best treatment is pencillamine which chelates or joins to copper and removes it from the body.the drug it self has some side effects do monitor the copper levels in urine .there is an option of transplantation but has many risks .
take care
thank you
Answered: Sun, 12 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor