Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Welts on hand, itchy, no pus. What is it?

About six days ago I noticed several mosquito bite-like welts on my hand . They became more pronounced the next day and extremely itchy. I put aloe vera gel on them regularly and the itching subsided a little. They went from mosquito bite-like welts to smaller red dots. However, on the third day, I started to get a couple more itchy spots on my right arm , but no where else on my body. Then on the fourth day I got a bunch of itchy spots on my right arm, just a couple on my left arm, and over both of my shoulders. My left arm is better now, but my right arm looks as if it was bitten about 30 times. However, they are definitely not mosquito bites. There is no pus or fluid inside, they are just raised welts. During this time, I have had no fever, tiredness, stomach pain, or any other symptoms. It is purely a skin itch and rash. I have checked online in many places. I am pretty certain it is not scabies or chicken pox . It could possibly be a mild case of shingles though. I have never had chicken pox or any other skin disease. I can send pictures if that would help. I am an otherwise very health 26 year-old weight 160 pounds. Thanks for your input!
Asked On : Sun, 21 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  473
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hi jonathan,
Thanks for writing in.
The rash you are describing can be scabies,Dermatitis herpetiformis,insect bite contact dermatitis, Papular urticaria etc.
Keep the area clean and dry.

You can apply calamine lotion over the area.Also you can take tab Zyrtec for itching.

Scabies is more likely as it starts on the wrists and spread to legs,genitals,stomach etc.
Treatment can be GBHC or permethrin lotion.

Most likely cause in your case can be papular urticaria.
Pictures can be uploaded on this site but this facility is available for premium questions only.
I encourage you to visit a qualified dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Hope this helps.

Answered: Sun, 21 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor