Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Weird smell, taste, draining in throat. Caused by teeth?

not sure what to ask so i will tell u what is going on, for the past few months ive been haveing this drainage into my throught not every day but when i bend over i get the sence of smell like something dead then when standing back up straight it drains into my throat and taste as bad as it smells. could it be my teeth or something else. cindy
Asked On : Mon, 17 Dec 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  117
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
The mouth contains around 10 thousands taste buds all over, even in the back of the throat. Every taste bud detects five primary tastes: sour, sweet, bitter, salty, umami (salts of certain acids). All tastes come from a combination of these basic taste sensations.
You might have damaged your taste buds, due to smoking, or have a vitamin or mineral deficiency (B-12 or zinc). But there is a third possibility, which has to do with a sinus drainage: most of what people perceive as taste is due to their ability to smell. So even if your taste buds are working well, your sense of taste may be impaired if you have a cold, nasal infection, sinusitis, allergic rhinitis or nasal polyps.
Answered: Wed, 19 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Chaithanyaa Nemaly's  Response
Hello there.... There are two things to this...postural discharge happens when you have fluid leaking through your upper respiratory tract....we call this post nasal times you find it salty and foul smelling.... this sort of discharge increases when you lie down in the supine position.
Secondly this kind of discharge happens when you have generalized gum infection...The gums get infected and starts discharging pus..that has a bad odor... For this problem you need to get your teeth cleaned along with medication that would take care of the gum infection.
If your problem is not related to the teeth need to consult the ENT specialist for problem related to the upper respiratory tract.... Get yourself evaluated...
Answered: Tue, 18 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ilanchey's  Response
you may be having upper nasal infection get an ENT specialist consultation
Answered: Tue, 18 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor