• question-icon

Weight loss, pain, diarrhea. Is cause of death sepsis?

I don't understand why the doctor put Sepsis on my Husbands death certificate. He had not been feeling well for some time (the last few years). Everytime we went to the his doctor, he was sent for blood work, stool and other tests. He would be in a lot of pain and stopped eating. I just thought he was tired of my cooking so I would try a new recipe. That didn't work either. That went on for more than a year. He was loosing weight and still in a lot of pain. Back to the doctor and more pain pills. Then a year ago we started taking him to ER. they would go through their routine, sometime they would admit him and sometime they would just check him out. Two weeks before he died ER checked him out at two thirty in the morning. He took a cab home. All through this he had extreem diarrhea as well as the pain in his gut. On a scale 1-10 he always said 11 and a half. When the surgeon opened him up his small intestine was dead and his large intestine was well on the way. My question is--- would you call this Sepsis?
Thu, 11 Jul 2013
hello mam,
First of all i am extremely sorry for your loss.You need to know that late diagnosis of small bowel obstruction may lead to sepsis and death.Sepsis with septic shock occurs as a host response to bacterial signals.As the correct treatment is not received by your husband the infection spread all over the body which lead to sepsis and death.Take care.Thank you.