Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Weight loss, fatigue, frequent urination, sweating. High blood sugar. Abdominal pain. Have hypertension. Diabetes?

My husband has unexplained weight loss , is fatigued, urinates frequently, has excessive sweating. His blood sugar is beyond normal but has not yet reached levels usually considered diabetic. Is he diabetic? He also suffers abdominal pain . What kind of doctor should we consult with? What other tests or doagnostics should he undergo? His quality of life is suffering so we are concerned. He is 43 years old, hypertensive, takes Norvasc 5mg and Simvastatin 20mg.
Asked On : Sat, 17 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  113
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Unexplained weight loss may be due diabetes though you stated that his levels were just above normal.To identify other possible causes he should have a (1) full blood count to check his haemoglobin level, white cell (would check for infection) and platelets (2) ESR- this is erythrocyte sedimentation rate which would indicate the presence of any inflammatory condition that needs further evaluation (3) electrolytes like calcium (which may be abnormal in some tumors), liver function tests, kidney function tests (4) stool for occult blood- this may indicate if there are any serious problems in the colon which may need further tests such as colonoscopy (5) thyroid function tests- high levels of thyroid hormone can result in weight loss (6) imaging of the abdomen may be suggested since he is complaining of abdominal pain

A general practitioner or family physician can initiate these tests and refer appropriately if there are any abnormalities.

I hope this helps and that you get some answers soon
Answered: Sat, 17 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Sourav Chakraborty's  Response

Greetings from

I am Dr Sourav Chakraborty and i will be helping you with your query

The symptoms of your husband necessitate further detail history , clinical evaluation followed by proper investigations . We should not hurry in to investigations and tests as we need to know the cause for his such discomfort and that needs to be dealt with promptly.

Any thing from simple anemia , hormonal disorder to most serious condition can present such similar symptoms .

Please do visit a doctor for further information and management plan.

Hope i have been able to help .

Thank You.
Answered: Sat, 17 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor