Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Ways to get my husbands BP down

My husband is only 27 years old he went to the doctors for a check up and his blood pressure was high so we started exercising early in the mornings last week well we got up this morning to do our workout but his chest started hurting so we stopped, he also get slight chest pains when he gets worked up like when our kids are acting up. Im really worried about it and i cant wait for his doctors appointment to get answers please help me. we have been trying to eat right and exercise, he is not over weight, he does not smoke or drink. Oh his right arm is also messed up he had to have his tendons, arteries and all that stuff fixed from when he had cut his arm on some glass a few years ago so his feeling in that arm is all messed up and i was wondering if maybe with his Atari being cut and reconstructed he could get a clot or something like that. please help, am i just being a warring wife or what?
Asked On : Tue, 15 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  413
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response high is "high?" Having numbers for the blood pressure is essential here. In certain cases, waiting weeks or months to take something (medication) to get BP down (goal is always 120/80) may NOT be realistic, and can certainly put a patient at risk. If numbers were >160/100, then medication is in order. If the numbers were closer to <140/90, then some lifestyle managment can be helpful. To start, I would invest in a blood pressure monitor for home use. These are found at most drug stores and for a nominal price. Tracking blood pressure a couple times a day can be VERY helpful to your husband's provider when he returns for a checkup. Exercise should be limited to low-impact for now. Walking is a good example of this, but avoid running or jogging until approved. As far as diet: LOW SALT intake. Increase WATER (not things made with water). This will help people a great deal. I'm worried about these chest pains as well. He should have an EKG done, and quite possibly a diagnostic test called a "Myoview Scan." Hypertension is an odd issue sometimes -- especially when it occures in a person who otherwise appears fit and healthy. Yes, stress can cause a jump in hypertension, but it is NOT the cause of it. Unfortunately, hypertension is considered ideopathic (we know the risk factors, but can't always identify what actually causes it in many people. Just goes to show that it can happen to anyone. Best of luck to you both. Make sure he gets things checked out.
Answered: Tue, 15 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor