Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Watery blisters around eye, itching, tingling sensation. Diagnosed herpes. How to stop it from spreading?

My mother developed watery blisters around right eye, right fore-head & right scalp with itching & tingling sensation over two days. We met Doctor & he diagnosed it as Herpes . She is 52 year aged lady. Doctor prescribed Anti-allergant tablets & Lotion to apply. I am concerned about to stop it spreading to more parts of body..Also, this happened around sensitive areas-EYES & BRAIN,,, should we consider any more thing from medical persepective...I will waiting for response.
Asked On : Mon, 11 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  56
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hi Nipun,
Thanks for writing to us.
Your doctor has correctly diagnosed your mother's condition as Herpes zoster.
Ideally along with providing treatment for itching in the form of antiallergic tablets, antiviral tablets ( acyclovir or valaciclovir or famciclovir) should be prescribed as this not only prevents progression of disease but also prevents post herpetic pain that is quite severe in many patients.
Herpes zoster virus remains dormant or inactive in nerves only to express itself as blisters on skin. Though chances of eye involvement are there, brain involvement is unlikely.
Antivirals should ideally be started with in 72 hours of onset of lesion or can also be started later on in elderly, people with low immunity or if chances of disease dissemination is there.
Hope that answers your query.
Take care
Answered: Mon, 11 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
1. rule out herpes zoster opthalmicus?
2. make sure erythema multiforme/cellulitis/contact dermatitis are not missed or mistaken.
Answered: Mon, 11 Mar 2013
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor