Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Wants to increase height, already reached adult height. Suggest medications to enhance height?

Hi, my name is xxxxx. I m 14 years old and I m 5 2. I wanted to be at least 5 6 or 5 7, but the doctors have said that I ve already reached my adult height. Many people have suggested things like exercise and following a good diet , which I already have been doing for the past year or so, but nothing has worked. Are there any medications that can help me grow 4-5 inches taller?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  211
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

At the end of the long bones (the bones in the arms, thighs and legs) are areas of cartilage that are involved in lenghtening the bones during childhood and early puberty. At some point in adolescence these areas stop producing or being involved in increasing length and no further growth is possible.

If your doctors have assessed, by examination and possibly xrays, that you have reached your final height, then,unfortunately, it is not possible to increase it.
There are medications that are used in children whose long bones are still adding bone but it will not work if this area is no longer active.

The use of exercise techniques such as yoga and pilates will help with posture and increase the strength of the abdominal muscles which may help somewhat.

Hope this helps
Answered: Wed, 27 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Polash Sannigrahi's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello Shreya,

Height of an individual is determined by Genetics, Environmental & Nutritional factors and Hormonal factors (most important the Growth Hormone secreted by pituitary gland in brain)
An individual stops growing in height after the fusion of the Epiphyses (growth plates) of the long bones, which occurs by the age of 16-20 yrs in females.

But if your Doctor has said that you have attained your adult height, then further increase in height is not possible.
The fusion of the Epiphyses can be observed in X ray to confirm the diagnosis.

One more thing...avoid consuming any over the counter medication which claim to boost your growth hormone & increase may be harmful.

Wishing you Good Health.
Thanks and take care.
Answered: Wed, 27 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor