A sincere and loving relative/family member can take better care of a bedridden patient at home, than in a costly Nursing home.
1. Bed should be soft and uniform, bedsheets should be tightly tucked in without wrinkles
. If the patient can afford water bed, it is ideal for semiconscious patients to prevent bed sores.
2. Instruct the relatives to change position every 1 0r 2 hrs.
3. feeding should be done preferably in sitting position and by self help.
4. give protein supplements
.Avoid food that may cause diarrhea
5. If there is tendency to constipation
or if the patient's voluntary control is poor, give Enema o alternate days to evacuate the bowels, so there is no soiling during the days.
6. Instruct the relatives to sponge the patient everyday with a wet towel followed by dry towel,followed by colone and talcum powder, teach them to move all the limb joints through full range,several times a day.
7. check every 2-3 days for bed sores over sacrum, back, greater trochanter, and ankles. If bed sore is developed dressing and padding.
8. Avoid soakage of bed by Urine or Stool, as bedsores develop very quickly in such cases.
9. If urinary incontinence
, apply a condom catheter. If urinary retention
, insert a Foley's catheter and give daily bladder wash with boiled water and Piodine.
10. encourage deep breathing to prevent pneumonia
PS: More convenient, economical, & loving way is to take care at home under supervision and help of your family Doctor.