Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Want fertility tests done due to advanced age. What tests should be done?

I am looking for fertility tests to be done before marriage due to higher side of age (~35) In this regard I would like to know which tests should be done for this. Please give me the names of these tests for both Male and Female. Thank you for the help. Regards
Asked On : Wed, 20 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  26
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello, thanks for using HCM.
Fertility naturally decreases in women unlike in men. In men, unless they present with acquired causes of infertility, even at older ages, they still maintain their fertility.
However, in addition to acquired causes of infertility in women, women naturally loose their fertility as they age. This decrease is related to ovarian function in which the quantity and quality of egg is affected with age. A practical test used to evaluate this is the FSH hormone concentration in blood. Very high values of FSH ( above 15 international units) collected on day 3 of menstrual cylcle usually indicate an ovary that has given up. However, such test should be done more than once as values may fluactuate from one cycle to the other with fertility likely to increased in months with reduced values.
Other possible tests for acquired causes will include ultrasound, hysterosalpingography and serologies for chlamydia, ureaplasma, mycoplasma.
Your partner will have to do a spermogram.
Best regards and hope this helps
Answered: Thu, 21 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor