Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Wake with swollen forehead, eyes after sun exposure. Have dark skin, hair color. Ibuprofen works not antihistamine

Hi. Over the past 4-5 years whilst on holiday in the sun, I go to bed at night and wake up with swollen eyes and forehead. I have dark skin, hair colouring etc and this never used to happen as I tan very easily. The swelling goes down through the day but as soon as I've slept and wake each morning it reappears. Ibuprofen seems to work, but antihistemines do not. I'd appreciate any help, advice you can offer.
Asked On : Thu, 11 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  343
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Dec 2013

Welcome to HCM.

It appears that you are having problem of Periocular Puffiness or better known as Puffy eyes. This is common condition caused by fluid accumulation around the eyes. The Periocular Puffiness is most noticeable in the morning after waking. This is due to gravitational redistribution of fluid in the horizontal position. when we are sleeping then the body fluid is having more propensity to get accumulated around eyes. Eyes have loose tissue so can give you appearance of swelling. As the day progresses and you so your normal work the gravitational force is vertical so the redistribution takes away the fluid and improves your condition.

Now the causes can be many ranging from Normal aging, salt excess, Oversleeping, sleep deprivation, substance abuse (Alcohol and tobacco). If you are falling in above then you improve with these. If not then can meet a physician who can check for and certain disease state.

But as per your history you should not be worried as it is during holiday only and I think must be related to fatigue and sleep problem.

A simple solution is to use high pillow under your head. Do keep me informed about your condition.

Have a healthy skin,

Dr Sanjay K Kanodia

Answered: Fri, 12 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dermatologist Dr. Ilyas Patel's  Response
Hi, you are having oedema on face and eye lids without other skin lesions and skin complaints. You should go for blood investigation and radiologic examination immediately to find out internal disease.... Renal diseases, anaemia, blood diseases, endocrinal diseases, heart diseases.. etc .. Ok
Answered: Fri, 12 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

When one lies down, extra vascular fluid is reabsorbed, gravity aided / accumulates in areas of loose subcutaneous tissues - this is a typical area. You need to investigate the heart, Kidney Liver, anaemia, low protein and so on.. You should see an Internist

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Fri, 12 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor